What you will get:
You will receive seeds for growing the American beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) plants. You have options to choose from:
1. 25 seeds
2. 50 seeds
3. 100 seeds
American beautyberry has a scientific name of Callicarpa americana and is a shrub that often grows to 3’ to 5’ tall and about the same width. The plants are easy to grow and cold hardy to USDA hardiness zones 6 to 10.
1. Ornamental. The most striking feature of American beautyberry is its clusters of glossy and showy purple berries along the branches appearing early in the fall and lasting into the winter.
2. Biting insect repellent. In the early 20th-century, farmers already knew to place fresh crushed beautyberry leaves beneath horse and mule harnesses to repel biting bugs. Recent research showed that compounds found in beautyberry leaves have amazing natural insect repellent properties.
3. Used for bonsai. As a result of its beauty and ease to grow, American beautyberry is one of many excellent shrubs for bonsai. Its beautiful berries last much longer than many shrub flowers in the seasons when very few flowers are seen.
4. Wildlife attraction. If you like to watch wildlife, American beautyberries are an important food source, attracting various wildlife including many bird species and other animals.
5. Used for medicinal purposes. The roots, root barks, leaves and branches of the American beautyberry may be used for various medicinal purposes.
Soak the seeds in water for 24 hours. Sow the seeds on a moistened soil surface and cover with soil lightly. Cover the containers with a plastic membrane to keep the soil moist. Punch a few small holes on the membrane for aeration and to avoid condensation for better vision. Place the containers in a warm and sunny place. Spray the soil lightly to keep the soil moist if necessary. It may take a month or more for the seeds to germinate.
Plant care tips
The plants can grow in various soils and do best in rich and well-drained soil. Full to partial sun. More light may promote more berries. American beautyberry is cold hardy to Zones 6 to 10. The plants are very drought tolerant when planted in the ground. However, if potted, they need to be watered frequently during hot summer.
Plants are shipped with pots. We offer different shipping methods at checkout.
MOVING YOUR PACKAGE ALONG:
If you notice your package is stuck somewhere during transit, filing an update request on your tracking page may help move your package along. You may also notice us to add such a request from our side.
We take very effective packaging measures to prevent your plants from damages. When the temperature is below freezing point at any transit points, it is important to add one or more heat packs in your order (depending on your package size) to protect your plant from cold damage. Check out our Shipping Supplies collection for a variety of products related to shipping.
It is also critical to take your package inside promptly upon delivery when it is hot or cold. Heat may accumulate and damage your plants if the package is left under the sun even if the temperature is relatively mild.
Refund, Replacement and Return Policy
At Wonderland Flora, your satisfaction is our highest priority. While we are very generous to our customers, we encourage communication for any issues that you might encounter. Your questions will be answered and issues will be addressed promptly.
Please inspect your order upon delivery and contact us immediately if the item is defective, damaged or incorrect.
For all live plants, we do not accept returns. If you believe your plant(s) is significantly different from our description, or with unexpected damage, please contact us within 48 hours after delivery. Your detailed description with photo(s) will help us to figure out the cause. We will be glad to replace or refund your item(s) if the fault is on our side. If your items were shipped by USPS Priority Mail or Priority Express Mail, they are covered by insurance. We encourage you to claim damage to the carrier which at least makes them aware of the issue that they should be responsible for and improve their services.
For non-plant items, you have 30 days to request a return after receiving your item. Again, please provide explanation and proof for your claim.
Thanks a lot!